The mission of the San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival is to inspire people to appreciate and care for the ocean by revealing its wonders through independent films.
Come view the beauty and mysteries of the ocean, experience the thrill of saltwater sports, explore coastal cultures, and pause to reflect on the importance of this vital ecosystem.
The San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival (SFIOFF) is a registered 501(c) 3 non-profit organization made possible by the spirit, passion, and hard work of numerous volunteers. Dedicated to using film as a medium to increase public awareness of the environmental, social, and cultural importance of marine ecosystems and foster a spirit of ocean stewardship, SFIOFF is now the premier venue in North America for ocean-related films.
Every year, SFIOFF produces an acclaimed festival of ocean-themed films from all over the world that are largely unavailable to the general public. Themes range from marine science and industry to sports and adventure. The films are intended to entertain, educate, and encourage active participation in ocean conservation.
Since its launch in 2004, SFIOFF has attracted thousands of spectators of all ages from around the world, including film enthusiasts, water sports fans, educators, and environmental supporters. It was the first event of its kind in North America, inspired by the well-established ocean festival in Toulon, France, which has continued to draw large audiences for more than 40 years. In 2013, the SFIOFF presented over 50 films from 15 different countries and featured post-film Q&A sessions with visiting filmmakers, special panel discussions with content experts, and the Seventh Annual Free Student Education Program.
FUTURE PLANS INCLUDE:
- Expanding the Annual Free Student Education Program to include more schools from beyond the Bay Area, more days and a broader student film competition.
- Expanding local screening events to increase SFIOFF’s presence year-round.
- Developing a year-round travelling program of SFIOFF films.
- Broadening the reach of excellent but under-distributed ocean films.
- With the San Francisco Bay as its backdrop, the San Francisco International Ocean Film Festival leaves a large educational footprint that is vital to the health of our ocean environment, economy, and culture.
For additional information, please contact email@example.com.